SHE TOLD ME. by Ngonzi Mary
I
aint perfect,
I
have faults and flaws,
Leaved
a life that no man has,
Taken
the routes that you could dare not step into,
You
want to know more about me,
Follow
me, let’s take this path,
And
I will tell you of what my mother said,
That
the woman in me should be submissive,
My
dear little one your “ssengas” they too have lived the life,
That
which you see as back ward,
You
know these things,
It’s
peaceful when you keep silent.
My
girl,
To
tame this animal, to be happy,
We
took lots of water,
An
utter of a word welcomed a sweet rubbing hand,
It
is only us that have lived before you,
Our
fore mothers said it its peaceful when you have all the respect he desires,
Just
accord it to him my girl,
You
see the bible says,
Hmmm!
and the tale goes on…..
So
am at that cross road,
Where
does meaning lie for a daughter born in this era?
I
see the change in the whirls of wind,
It
used to blow east, it now blows west,
So
when that time comes,
What
will it be like?
In
me, have been installed this other thinking,
That
the women have as much authority as men,
But
my mother,
I
always found her right you know,
She
said they are the head,
At
school I was told the father was the head of the family.
What
happens to the women that are the bread winners?
Won’t
we accord them their respect as the heads of the family?
Where will I look to?
To
the long running winds of the east or the calming airs of the west,
Mother
told me, yes she did
That
when I did respect him I would be happy,
Mother,
am sorry mother,
The
times have changed,
The
earth views us as equals,
My
heart can’t hold the tales any more,
I
know you were right, yes, you were,
But
the sounds of the drums have changed,
I
can no longer lie in the ground so that I can be his stepping stone,
Yes
you told me mother, but the times have changed.
Comments
Post a Comment